GBS A90 Performance Specification (Shop)
GBS Green Building Specification A90 Performance Specification
- This specification preliminaries section was started on the British Library Euston specification project and continuously developed on most projects carried out by ASWS, NGS, GreenSpec and BrianSpecMan
- GBS A90 has been created, tested, developed and refined on £2415m worth of projects from £50k to £500m and packages worth between £10k and £12m in General Contracting (GC), Construction Management (CM), Management Contracting (MC), Design & Build (D&B), Design Manage & Construct (DMC), Build Own Operate and Transfer (BOOT), Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) procurement methods.
- It has a role in (Employer’s Requirements (ERs) in D&B projects, supporrting any Brief, Outline Specification, Partial or Full Specification to provide some control to the Contract Administrator (CA) over the final outcome.
What is in this specification?
- GBS A90 describes whole building or individual element performance requirements, and facilitates contractor and specialist subcontractor design responsibilities in contracts with Contractor Design Portion (CDP)
- In contracts with no contractor design responsibility the presence of selected GBS A90 clauses can help manage Specification Substitution and ensure Equivalency.
What is ‘green’ about it?
- GBS A90 address all normal performance issues:
- design life
- Lightning protection
- wind resistance
- thermal insulation
- Moisture vapour
- building competency
- many that can be associated with ‘sustainable’ including:
- decrement delay
- Vapour open/closed
- resource efficiency
- local procurement,
- transport impacts
- Environmental Assessment Methods,
- and can address any other ‘green’ issue and already includes clauses related to:
- material choices,
- healthy materials
- Carbon sequestration
- Moisture mass
- Low embodied Water Carbon and Energy
How does it differ from the NBS work section?
- NBS A90 does not exist.
- NBS Domestic or NBS SpecWriter used to create an A90, a Workmanship only specification section.
- NBS includes occasional performance clauses throughout NBS work sections
- NBS A70 prelims for package documents (now withdrawn) brought together a collection of quality control clauses from the NBS Preliminaries A30-A37.
How or where can the specification be used?
- It can be adapted and used in any procurement method
- GBS A90 can be used as a front to a package specification or whole building specification and even in Employer’s Requirements in D&B.
- GBS A90 is often used when the Preliminaries are another party’s responsibility, are often not NBS based and often fail to address quality and cost issues, it attempts to fill some of these gaps within a package specification.
Why should you pay to download this specification?
- If you want more control than NBS specifications provides consider adding this.
- Performance Specification writing can be as difficult to create as prescriptive (materials and workmanship) specifications especially since NBS does not address the issue head on.
- A ready made framework of clauses and procedures to adopt quickly.
- It is very cost effective to adopt GBS A90 rather than start from scratch.
- In conjunction with 4 appendix it provides the CA with the tools to manage and teeth to control any performance related work.
More about this Specification Preliminaries Section
- A90 Performance Specification (CL) G#1715 N#1617
- Jargon Buster:
- Guidance Notes:
- 528: J A90 P GN Performance Specification Guidance Notes (£)
- 1249: J A90 A DC Declaration Of Conformity (£)
- 1165: J A90 A EM Declaration of Excluded Materials
- 1247: J A90 A SMR StatementOfManufacturersReview (P)
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
2nd January 2013 – 25th February 2016