GBS Robust Specification Detail (RSD)
GBS M50.5 Gemini Risk Free Set In Skirting (Shop)
- Specification work section M50.5 was developed for the manufacturer of adhesives that had to develop a unique recipe of PVC to ensure continuing compatibility with their own adhesive
- This came about when PVC extrusion manufacturers changed their recipes without informing the adhesives manufacturers and when the adhesives failed blamed the adhesive manufacturers.
- The PVC extrusion manufacturers will blame everybody and everything for the failures, but will not accept responsibility for their recipe changes.
- The changes have come about for a number of reasons: Cheap products dumped on UK market, cost cutting by installers, REACH Regulations requiring removal of hazardous ingredients,
What is in this specification?
- GBS Specification work section M50.5 specifies a PVC Set in skirting at floor perimeters.
- It also describes the competent application of the adhesive bonding all of the parts together
What is ‘green or sustainable’ about it?
- GBS M50.5 address:
- Problem Solving
- HERACEY™: Healthy, Environmental, Competent construction that are associated with ‘green and sustainable’ including:
- Removal of Carbon Black (Colour) and Phthalates (Plasticiser) from the recipe of the PVC; both Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) under REACH Regulations
- Avoids Polymer Migration (Plasticiser migrating from PVC into adhesive and changing the properties of both) destroying the bonds between each component
- Avoiding creating access to the space behind and below the profile where bacteria can and does build up, risking the integrity of food preparation and health buildings.
- Using spray adhesive from closed pressure vessel, minimising operatives and surrounding contractors to exposure to solvent fumes.
- Avoiding evaporation from open tins means the full quantity of the container is usable to the end without waste.
- Using water based adhesive avoids the fumes
- Returnable adhesive pressure vessels
- Avoiding the repair and replacement of failed stair coving
- Avoiding the disruption and closure of escape stairs and whole buildings whilst replacing failed details
How does it differ from the NBS work section?
- NBS M50 does exist
- GBS M50.5 only addresses one detail and only includes the relevant clauses to be used in an NBS based specification
- GBS M50.5 also includes the general guidance notes and clause guidance notes to help edit the specification
How or where can the specification be used?
- These clauses are pre-numbered and know where they belong in an NBS based project specification work section M50
- The clauses can be merged into an NBS based specification between or replacing existing clauses
- It can be edited to make it project specific (profile, size, colour, etc.)
- It can be adapted and used in any procurement method
Why should you pay to download this specification?
- If you want more control than NBS specifications provides consider adding GBS M50.5
- The specification has been prepared by GBS with the guidance of the manufacturer.
- It took us hours to get this right so it will save you just as many hours and you might not capture all of the fine details.
- It includes all the requisite clauses to ensure a competent installation backed by guarantee.
More about this Specification Work Section
- Checklist: M50 Rubber Plastics Cork Lino Carpet tiling sheeting (CL) G#1160 N#1164
- Jargon Buster: M50 Rubber Plastics Cork Lino Carpet tiling sheeting (JB) G#____ N#____
- Guidance Notes: General guidance notes and clause guidance notes are included in the file.
- Appendix: There are no appendix for this specification it is self-sufficient
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
29th June 2016