GBE > ENCYCLOPAEDIA > CODE > G#436
During the ‘Sustainability Revolution’ it has become clear that we have not been making many sustainable nor competent buildings, because we don’t fully understand the physics of buildings and the science of materials, and we compromise between what we design and what we build with cost cutting, substitutions or value engineering, with low initial cost as the primary criteria for success. Further degradation of ambitions occurs on site through lack of understanding, lack of care and poor workmanship.
It’s time for change, and this is the beginning of GBE’s contribution, it’s about developing a more detailed and joined up understanding of environmental design principles and generating detailed ‘Healthy Environmental Resourceful Appropriate Competent Environmental Construction’ rules.
We have already got a name for it GBE Code, its not a version of an EAM Environmental Assessment Method like DREAM, SPEAR, LEED, Ska, BREEAM or Code for Sustainable Homes, (some of which appear to be tick box exercises, that prevent innovation and selection of really green, low carbon, resource efficient and healthy products) but a Code for ‘Healthy Environmental Resourceful Appropriate Competent Effective Construction’ which embraces traditional, modern & innovative methods of construction.
GBE Code aims to bring together:
- Design Principles in GBE Patterns; (started)
- Highlight GBE Issues, GBE Problems and promote GBE Solutions in GBE Defects (started)
- Organised into logical GBE Matrix; (will follow GBE Patterns)
- Things to consider and others to avoid in GBE Checklist; (exists, being updated)
- Highlights over-optimism and expose untruths in GBE Greenwash (started)
- Data collected to help form GBE Rules of Thumb; (to be developed)
- Equations and datasets to create GBE Calculators (some exists, more to add)
- Build links to the outputs of R&D, R&DIY and other sources of guidance in GBE Links; (exists, updating)
- Building Elemental Sustainability Test in GBE BEST; (exists, to be formalized)
- Building Elemental Assembly COde Number GBE BEACoN; (exists, to be formalised)
- Products Accessories Systems Screening in GBE PASS; (exists)
- Translation/interpretation of unfamiliar terms with GBE Jargon Buster; (exists, always developing)
- Results in Competent Sustainable Construction to be found in GBE 3D Studio; (exists, to be updated)
- Bring this all together with a 3D walkthrough model to interrogate in GBE 2D/3D View (ambition)
Collectively the aim is to find a pathway through the myriad of options, addressing local climate, component functions, compatibility of materials, resource efficiency, energy saving, carbon reduction as well as healthy buildings; to shortlist methods of construction and material choices that are appropriate to a site and ‘Healthy Environmental Resourceful Appropriate Competent Effective Construction’.
GBE BEST informs GBE 3D Studio a proposed online design and specification tool; and will refine the 892 ready-made assemblies.
GBE PASS informs the GBE Product Page that GBE 3D Studio interrogates.
GBE 3D Studio allows you to assemble a virtual building in a day and an outline specification assembles itself.
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
10th December 2012 – 22nd September 2015