GBE Green Building Encyclopaedia
Green Building Encyclopaedia (GBE) will become the single source for information about creating healthy, environmental and efficient buildings – giving you the freedom to make them beautiful.
GBE will be the place to find design guidance and technical advice regarding the selection, design or specification of building methods, materials, services, systems, products and whole buildings.
You will be able to make better decisions in a world that claims to be green, but where things are not always what they appear to be.
GBE is going to be vast, with 32,000 anticipated pages. GBE will include:
- 9000 term Jargon Buster, so that we can all speak the same language, use the same terms and understand the answers to your questions
- 400 trade based sustainability Checklists
- 1000 CPD Seminars, within 30 topic groups
- 100s of Specifications by trades, systems and elements
- Design tools to help you to understand the problems and find solutions and products
- 100s of manufacturers
- 1000s of products, accessories and systems
- Design principles, to guide you when choosing from the options
- Rules of thumb, when calculations are not needed
- Equations and Calculators with Datasets and product data to work it all out
- Material properties and application guidance to meet application performance requirements
- Methods of construction, with all the right parts included in the right order
Join now and receive five CPD seminars files + 50% off annual professional membership when we launch (which will include access to our knowledge base).
GBE Daily & Other Updates
- ACQ5 Gamechangers Awards 2018 UK Green Building Encyclopaedia Website (News) G#17153
- ACQ5 Gamechangers Awards 2018 Brian Murphy NGS Ltd. (News) G#17148
- Latest Blogs
- Daily Website Updates Additions G#1541 N#1484
- GBE Diary Quarter 2018 Q3 G#17210
- Future Events 2018 G#593 N#613
- Newsletters (Navigation) G#4071
- CPD Your In-House CPD G#2404
- Content List
- Home Navigation
- Page Groups (Navigation) G#15610
GBE is being created by Brian Murphy (‘BrianSpecMan’) and a team of specialists. Brian is a technician and architect by training, a specification writer by choice and an environmentalist by action. The GBE Team has complementary skills to provide well rounded, joined up content.
GBE’s website purpose and approach:
GBE Latest Products
- Latest Product Specifications
- Latest Systems
- StoreFloor G#13287
- Latest Collaborate Services
- Latest Newsletter
* Is to explain building principles in GBE Patterns, interrogate multiple conflicting requirements, investigate potential problems and find competent solutions
* To enable understanding, design, specification, procurement and assembly of competent buildings during the sustainability revolution
* To enable in-house know-how, instead of reliance upon external sustainability consultants, so that your organisation can join the sustainability revolution
This includes understanding the physics of building, the science of materials and the crunching of numbers to find competent methods of construction. Evidence Based Design is the approach that we recommend. GBE Evidence Based Case will provide information on a project’s design, construction and verified performance data, as well as outline specifications of building fabric and services.
We will introduce GBE Solution Providers in the form of manufacturers, suppliers & installers, including their materials or products, accessories and systems. These 6 Core Pages are linked to each other to ensure that you find all the parts of any GBE Solution without searching.
GBE 6 Core pages
The basic principle behind the structure of this website is to link between the 6 Core Pages of Solutions and Solution Providers. In reality, the links go beyond these core clusters, to link every page to any related and relevant other page – so that you don’t have to search or guess the whereabouts of those pages.
Is the GBE website and encyclopaedia well structured?
- GBE is designed to mimic neural networks of the human brain:
- Every page knows where everything related to it is located
- The pages let their presence be known
- Every related page will be listed and linked in the ‘See Also’ right column
- Everything is linked in both directions
- Nobody has to search for anything…
- …Except your original enquiry (and Google found that for you)
- There will be a search engine for pages, posts or documents, found on the website header
- Navigating or drilling down the drop down menus will also find most things
GBE is experimenting with touch screen GBE Navigation pages
The result is a well structured set of clusters of information. These are accessible without having to understand the structure of the website, or construction industry classification systems or jargon.
GBE Expert will be developed to use expert system principles to ask many questions and offer multiple choice answers. Depending upon the answer chosen, the subsequent series of questions will help to derive from one million options a few shortlisted answers. These solutions will lead to the GBE Solution Providers and their products.
Is GBE working?
The prototype GBE website has now closed and in 24 months it attracted:
- 2,406 page views per day, cumulative average (18/09/2015)
- 63,157 page views per month (18/09/2015)
- 910,948 page views in 12 months (18/09/2015)
- 1,802,206 page views total 2 years (18/09/2015)
- 34,579 document downloads (18/09/2015)
Keep coming back
The site is embryonic and the content is constantly being updated. Please keep coming back to see what else has been added that can help you become an even more informed, environmentally aware individual capable of influencing others.
Join now and receive five CPD seminar files + 50% off annual professional membership when we launch (which will include access to our knowledgebase).
Designing, choosing methods, materials, systems, products and specifying a building is complex
GBE realises that designing, choosing and specifying for building is complex – even more so if you are trying to be healthy, environmentally friendly, energy and material efficient. There are too many options and alternatives which are full of short term, financially tempting compromises.
If this is your own home or place of business, this is an opportunity to create a bill-free, healthy living and working space. Choosing between methods of construction, materials, products, accessories and systems is a mind blowing, complex affair that is difficult to get right. It is complex if you are not trained in the subject.
We are all surrounded by advisory or promotional manufacturer associations. Even in the presence of good information, there is little joined up thinking.
Trying to make sense of all of this information is a challenge for architects, design professionals and constructors, let alone self builders BIYers, DIYers or first time clients. So GBE has set out to try to help all of you in your quest.
GBE is finding other people to join the team that know about lifestyle, behaviour change, furniture, interiors, landscape, biodiversity, water, energy, lighting structures, civil engineering and infrastructure.
GBE will offer well-rounded content, where everything is given a level playing field with all the players on the pitch. We will show their strengths and weaknesses and help you to find the right combinations that work effectively together.
- Enable the re-education of the construction industry
- Serve students, as they are the future
- Introduce and translate the sustainability revolution jargon with GBE Jargon Buster
- Address things that you can implement in your daily work
- Put ideas in your head that will question received wisdom
- Develop GBE Code of design principles: GBE Patterns, GBE Rules of Thumb
- Develop GBE Equations, GBE Calculators and GBE Data
- Introduce GBE Defects – linked to GBE Solutions
GBE will advise which materials to avoid and reduce within New Build, Existing Building and Adaptation GBE Checklists we will suggest alternatives materials and product lists to consider in their place.
- GBS M50.1 Gemini Risk Free Capped Coved Skirting (Shop) G#11743
- GBS M50.2 Gemini Risk Free Stair Coving (Shop) G#11752
- GBS M50.3 Gemini Risk Free Reducing (Shop) G#11754
- GBS M50.4 Gemini Risk Free Sit On Skirting (Shop) G#11755
- GBS M50.5 Gemini Risk Free Set In Skirting (Shop) G#11756
- GBS M50.6 Gemini Risk Free Flat Skirting (Shop) G#11757
- GBS M50.7 Gemini Risk Free Tile Cap (Shop) G#11758