Green Building Encyclopaedia GBE
Green Building Encyclopaedia (GBE) is a growing information resource about creating healthy, environmental and efficient buildings – giving you the know-how to be able to engage robustly with these and other issues and still have the freedom to make them beautiful.
GBE includes design advice, guidance and technical detail regarding the selection, design or specification of building methods, materials, services, systems, products and whole buildings.
- Designing, choosing methods, materials; systems, products and accessories; and specifying them for building is complex.
- Even more so if you are trying to ensure they are healthy, environment-friendly: indoors, outdoors and globally; and make them energy, carbon, material and resource efficient.
- Choosing between them is a mind blowing complex affair that is difficult to get right.
- Trying to make sense of all of this information is a challenge for architects, design professionals and constructors, it is made more complex if you are not trained in the subject, let alone self-builders BIYers, DIYers or first time clients.
- If it is your own home or place of business, this is an opportunity to invest well and not penny-pinch, to create low or bill-free, healthy living and working spaces.
- There are too many options and alternatives that are full of financially tempting short term compromises with long term implications.
- Quantity Surveyors are well practices at helping build cheaply and will habitually use violet pricing books, to get a violet building cost plan, ignoring all the client’s aspiration to invest well in a good or green building.
- When tendered to violet builders, violet tenders come in above the violet cost plan and inevitable cost cutting disguised as ‘Value Engineering’ takes place to strip out all of the client’s green or better building aspirations.
- Grenfell enquiry has reported on the ‘race to the bottom’ of materials properties and costs; and discourages the use of Value Engineering as it is practiced in the UK.
- With the right guidance multi-functional multi-property materials can be included in projects that hold there own in ‘Value Engineering’ exercises
- Authoritative information can also be biased due to the history of its development or its funding.
- We are all surrounded by eager manufacturer or their advisory associations all-vying for your attention.
- Many have their own single system with emphasis on single-issue or single-property that top-trumps, ignores or discounts many others and their guidance will usually be against alternatives and towards that one system, rightly or wrongly.
- Even in the presence of good information, there is often little joined-up bigger-picture thinking.
- Story telling is a valuable selling skill, we all need to be able to tell the difference between fact, fiction or fantasy.
- A challenge at the best of times.
- Just before COVID-19 plague occurred we set up a learning programme to deliver CPD webinars
- Just when it was needed one of our team was hit by COVID-19 so we mothballed it
- As soon as our team is up to full strength we will reopen the programme
- During the COVID-19 lockdown GBE developed one of its whole building calculators originally for students and made it professional-ready
- 15 development stages will follow allowing many calculations all in one place
- Students regularly want all the answers without the learning.
- Everybody wants all the answers all in one place.
- Everybody wants more detail at their fingertips.
- Green Building Calculator is striving to meet these requirements
GBE Sign Up
GBE Membership Sign Up
Join now and receive 50% off annual professional membership (which includes access to all GBE content)