GBE > BLOG > NEWS > NEWSLETTER > G#3897
GBE Member Newsletter No 2 December 2015
GBE Member Newsletter No 2 December 2015
10 more things BrianSpecMan interrogated, liked and shortlisted at UK Construction Week
- in no particular order.
- a diverse mix of things (even more diverse in previous and following eNewsletters).
- and more images and links will be added in the on-line version of this newsletter.
11 jhai Limited.
- Approved inspectors with an amazing effective marketing track record including:
- Newsletter, Brochures, users of campaigns, social media and video.
- Service leaflets: What we do, SW region contacts, ener+ji assessments, additional services;
- Folders: 20 things you need to know about: Loft conversions, 25 about Part L, 30 about Building Regulations for dwellings.
12 rothblass Italian manufacturer with global ambitions
- Screws for Wood: The Black Book on par with BG’s White Book
- One of the best catalogues I have ever seen, an amazing collection of ‘advanced technological solutions’ fasteners, fixing and other accessories for structural timber applications.
- 6 catalogues & 6900 different fasteners made; this one for carpentry, structures, outdoor, timber/other materials.
- Full of diagrams, application and compatibility charts, tables, educational guidance information.
- Many screw heads, shafts, threads, self drill/other tips, notches, passage cutters, self-counter sinkers, materials and coatings; every size imaginable; all identifiable and traceable.
- The catalogue is backed up by technicians, training centre, multilingual courses, CPD seminars, design tools, website, etc. You can find your own and check its right or ask the question.
- The representatives and the mockups on the stand were excellent with insulation removed to see the fasteners and read the logic of the fastener and fixing approach.
- If any company deserves to succeed here is one.
- Water conditioning for water hardness and no more, a catalytic converter for water, removes existing limescale and prevents future build up.
- Without adding anything after the initial installation, has a life time warranty and is WRAS approved.
- Magnesium Oxide (MgO) sheathing board all the way from UEA to join those already in the UK market.
- Simple informative literature with useful test performance, properties and characteristics.
- UK and American test method evidence carried out in UK and UEA.
- A few ‘advantages’ statements need better explanation to avoid inappropriate application.
- Comparison table with other sheet materials suitable for similar applications.
15 Galvanizers Association
- The Engineer’s & Architects’ Guide: Hot Dip Galvanizing (2011)
- Excellent Publication, authoritative guidance, technical with beautiful illustrations of examples.
- Its full of diagrams, charts, tables, explanation, theory and practical, fault identification and comparison with alternative protections.
- Includes the Millennium Map UK with 10km grid showing annual average atmospheric corrosion of galvanizing on a scale of 34 to 170 years.
- GBE plan to engage with GA in future to: add articles, offer CPD and maintain the GBE Z34 Hot Dip Galvanizing Specification.
- Soil arisings-free and concrete-free foundations at subsoil surface
- Base plates for framed super-structures, with impact driven pins like scaffold poles
- Angular driven pins in multiple configurations to suit all site constraints
- Capacity: 25-360 kN loads per base plate
- Suitable for Landscape structures, Outbuildings, Domestic, Commercial and Solar Farms, etc.
- Predrilled, hot-dip galvanized steel for durability, with cold zinc rich spray touch up
- Kit of parts for framing and levelling, fixing and fastening above ground
17 Air and Wind Tightness Systems
- There are quite a few player in the market now
- G#886 N#906 Ecological Building Systems & Pro clima (see last issue of the newsletter)
- Isocell Ltd. Ireland
- Rothblaas Italy (excellent Smartbook 01 and large product range)
18 Expanding foams for window perimeter airtightness, weather sealing and thermal insulation
- We spend a lot of money on high performance and Passivhaus accredited windows then install them with a thermal bridge through the tolerance gap
- There is a solution, its easy and we should be doing it every time and there a few players in this market too:
- Vitec Composite Systems Vitaseal
- Iso Chemie
- Compriband (long term player in the UK market)
19 Hewins Timber the European Oak Specialists
- The Oak Book your comprehensive quoting guide
- French FSC or PEFC Oak
- Presents all the appropriate uses of Oak:
- Structural, Exterior, Joinery & Internal
- Helps guide specifiers away from straying into inappropriate uses
- But that never stopped them before…..
20 Icynene spray foam thermal insulation
- They previously made this with a plant based ingredient but due to inability to consistently obtain ethically sourced resources they reverted to petro-chemical
- What a pity since their products are clever in many respects: Foaming to perfect fit airtightness, moisture permeability, acoustic performance, etc.
- And some grades claim to be good on Indoor Air Quality or Recycled content so you need to be very careful to get all the characteristics you want in the one you specify.
- Make sure its built to spec and not value engineered, cost cut or substituted out of the project.
- It still cannot protect from solar radiation G#2613 GBE Overheating
So many more products and services are listed and linked
Items 1 to 10 in the previous edition of GBE eNewsletter.
Items 21 to 30 in a future edition of GBE eNewsletter.
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
24th October 2015 – 23rd December 2015