Creating Categories Hierarchy
- Clever thing about WordPress by creating a hierarchy of Categories and assigning them to Posts you build the website’s sitemap automatically.
- So you need to be a bit thoughtful about their arrangement.
- Remembering that search engines do not want to be chasing moving targets every few years.
- Taking the NGS website sitemap as a starting point and adding the GBE Marketing ambitions the website hierarchy has had to evolve.
- But the 1800 pages from NGS website need a GBE home so the sitemap is not radically different but evolving from one or 2 roots in place of many.
- The thing that does not happen is dropdown menus are not created and developed for you.
- Once the hierarchy is complete and Posts have been assigned Categories I will generate the sitemap and turn it into navigationspages.
- Posts can be in many categories so can appear in many places in the site map, so cross referencing between Posts with similar topics is less important
- But the site can become crowded and could feel a bit repetitive.
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianMurphy
14th September 2015 – 2nd January 2016