Ska-Rating Fit-Out/Re-fit Environmental Assessment Method
- Office Fit-outs sustainability rating system
- RICS and their development partners, who include a number of leading architects consultants, contractors active in the sector.
- Joined by BrianSpecMan in 2014
- With the recession currently favouring refurbishment rather than new build accommodation, the new assessment system offers a means of demonstrating that existing stock too can be delivered to a highest of environmental standards.
- 99 good practice measures ranging from energy and CO2 emissions to waste, water and ‘wellbeing’.
- Scoring system:
- gold, silver or bronze rating.
- The RICS is hosting the formal assessment route, which will require companies to obtain a quality-assured certificate from a certified assessor,
- training courses for would-be assessors.
- all information freely available
- rating method, criteria and best practice guidance
- online assessment tool
- do-it-yourself fit-out assessments
- do-it-yourself ratings for fit-out clients.
- developed to suit the whole spectrum of owners and occupiers, including the smallest business
- When the fit-out market is taken as a whole, this commercial sub-sector actually accounts for around 10% of total construction spend in the UK, according to the RICS.
- Formally launched 2009, the rating system has been attracting attention on the sustainable construction front and has already managed to pick up several industry awards.
NGS Observations in 2009
- This seems to take no account of OGC, GPP or Defra ambitions.
- NGS was invited to critique Ska at the time
- There are plenty of opportunities for its development
© GBE NGS ASWS BrianMurphy aka BrianSpecMan
28th September 2013 – 30th November 2018