WasteCost lite Jargon Buster
WASTE COST LITE ‘WasteCost lite’
- BRE’s waste statistics are of interest to BRE and other waste agencies, industry engages with waste statistics if companies and projects are looking for KPI and EPI data.
- Simons Construction have demonstrated that waste segregation costs more money but saves considerably more.
- Over a weekend BrianSpecMan of National Green Specification (NGS) took BRE and Simons data and turned it into simple calculator that takes minutes to complete, indicating the size of the project, choosing a construction method, selecting which waste will be segregated, and modifying default waste stream disposal costs to your local services costs.
- WasteCost lite then instantaneously gives the answer to 3 questions:
- 1 how much will it cost to dispose of the waste from the project?
- 2 how much will is cost to segregate waste from the project? The QS and buying department usually give up at this point
- 3 how much will it save by segregating the waste? And now they will engage.
- NGS gave the tool to BRE and said this is what industry wants and this is what you need to create.
- 3 years later BRE created their version, its more accurate but it takes a day to get results.
- WRAP have their own tool it takes even longer to get more accurate results.
- By which time the QS left the building
Relevance to Sustainable Construction:
Either you are:
- BRE and collect data and inform Government
- WRAP and collect waste diverted from landfill tonnage data and inform Government
- Or you understand the cost of waste and engage with its reduction
- Its a rough tool for quick answers to get the attention of the QS or contractor buying department
- It takes 10 minutes to get rough answers unlike WRAP and BRE tools that take days to populate and get accurate answers by which time the QS has left the building.
- 3 questions
- How much does a building’s waste cost
- How much to segregate that waste
- How much can be saved by segregating that waste
- I made it over a weekend.
- I used it to show BRE, who only excelled in waste data, how to use cost data to get contractors engaged in waste
- I gave it to BRE and told them to do the same only better
- They took 3 three years to do their own
- This was downloaded and used by contractors.
- Its 2002 data and 2007 prices but it allows the user to update the prices
- It was populated with Smith Construction of Lincoln (east midlands regional contractor) cost data
- It needs BRE or DEFRA or CRWP or EA cooperation to get it up to date with Waste statistics
- But we know how long we will be waiting for BRE to help.
WasteCost lite Jargon Buster
- WasteCostReduction PDF Show Kier EPIC
GBE Press Release
- WasteCost lite Calculator (Press Release) G#539 N#559
- Wikipedia Environment Agency
- Net Waste Tool
- Waste To Landfill Reporting Portal
- http://reportingportal.wrap.org.uk (dead link)
- Design Out Waste Tool For Buildings
- Design Out Waste Tool For Civil Engineering
- SWMP Tracker
GBE Jargon Buster
GBE Jargon Buster Theme
- Brew Crew
- Cyclical Economy
- Material Exchange
- Resource Efficiency
- Resource Efficiency Action Plan (REAP)
- Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP)
- Surplus to Requirements
- SWMP Checklist
- SWMP Workshops
- Take Back
- Waste Champion
- WasteCost®lite (this page)
- Waste Resource Action Programme (WRAP)
- Waste Statistics
- Waste Types
GBE Future Events
- A38 Construction Waste Management (Checklist) G#1709 N#1611
- A39 Packaging Waste Management (Checklist) G#1712 N#1614
- Resource Efficiency Flooring Skills Project (Project) G#1275 N#1268
GBE Green Building Specification
- Robust Specification Clause
- Robust Specification Work Section
- A38 being updated
- A39 being Updated